Re: HS6 Carb Conversion

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HS6 Carb Conversion
From: "Jerry Shaw" <jcs104@home.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:08:25 -0500
And I thought I was the only one to have this happen. Thanks, Peter for
telling us your story.

I, too, can attest to filling up my oil sump with gasoline with my wonderful
SU HS6 conversion! I jacked up the rear of my car to install new shocks and
repair my emergency brake. Upon completion of the work and after lowering
the rear, I started the car, only to find this puddle of diluted oil
creeping out from beneath, ruining a virgin garage floor. I immediately shut
it down, and discovered a rather full oil pan.

Since I had detected a little seepage from the float bowl of the rear SU, I
immediately knew what the problem was. A badly adjusted float and/or faulty
needle valve had allowed the excess gasoline pressure head from the elevated
gas tank to overfill the float and leak gasoline through my intake manifold
into the oil sump. It was corrected and I drained gasoline-diluted oil,
changed the filter and refilled, and everything is fine (except for my
garage floor).

Seems like a safety issue, and I've wondered about installing a check valve.
I just don't know how much pressure drop it would produce. Maybe an electric
fuel pump with a regulator is a solution.

BTW, to those who want to use longer bifurcated choke cables for their SU
installations, use the ones for the PI models. Also, I'm fabricating a heat
shield, ala,
page 119 of Roger Williams' TR6 restoration book

Jerry Shaw
'75 '74 6s
'66 Spit