Re: 74 tr6 problems

To: slatonj@vci.net
Subject: Re: 74 tr6 problems
From: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:00:02 +0000
HI Jeff:

I'm no mechanical expert or wizard but do perform some of the work on my '69
TR6 myself.  This spring I wrestled with what were similar problems with my
car after I rebuilt the carbs.  The car would run ok when cold but then
would cut out and run rough after warmup, no matter what I did to try and
remedy the situation; tune-up, timing, filters, hoses, and so on.

After taking the car to a great, local British car shop I found two primary
offenders:  First, the chokes (starter boxes) were not closing completely as
I had placed the cables too high on the carb mounts.  Secondly, the float
bowl vent on the front carb was plugged by a hardend substance in the
corresponding hole in the air filter backing plate.  Try running the car for
a short while without the air filter in place.  This may help to further
diagnose your problems.

Also, what do the spark plugs look like after running the engine?  Black and
sooty; fuel/air mixture too rich, White; too lean, Tan and even-colored; ok.
  Are you blowing black smoke out the exhaust and can you smell rich,
unburned gasoline while the engine is running?

Good luck and best regards,
Walt Fogle
'69 TR6, CC30689L
Woodinville, WA