Oil pressure / temperature

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pressure / temperature
From: "Alferink P.J.T." <fam.alferink@zonnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 23:29:50 +0200
Phil,
You described the exact same phenomenon that I have for 1.5 years now.
I was worried too. Replaced the oil pump and all crank bearings. No
difference.
Changing the type of oil (now using an oil especially designed for classic
cars) "improved" the situation a little (hot oil pressure increased by 5 psi)
.
Meanwhile drove 10k miles and no negative effects found.
I support your theory that it is temperature related. I am now using a
slightly adapted BBQ-cooking thermometer sensor as the dipstick. The leads are
just long enough so that the read-out is in the car. My experiences:
Driving the car 45 minutes or less at speeds up to 75 mph never brings the
temperature over 90C (200F). Longer driving slowly increases the temperture to
95-100C (205-215F).
Living in the Netherlands, driving at 80-85 mph is the norm. 30 minutes or
more at this speed also brings the oil temperature to 100C (215F). Driving
90-95 does this in 15 minutes. Extreme driving (rallying at full throttle, or
constant driving at speeds over 80 or more for more than an hour) showed
temperatures up to 115C (240F). Due to high rpm's pressure was not a problem
(except when suddenly forced to slow down).
Slowing down to 75 mph (for about 5 minutes) lowers the temperature to about
95C (205F) with associated rise in oil pressure.
Outside temperature hardly influences the oil temperature. Also changing the
thermostat to a lower temperature type also did not make any difference.

Soooo, I don't worry any longer and just make sure that the temperature
doesn't go much over 100C by slowing down in time and by not hitting traffic
jams. If you don't want to be restricted this way, buy an oil cooler (I
considered doing so, was discouraged by my part-supplier!?, and can live with
the present situation).