Re: surrey top

To: rjhmile@yahoo.com (Ryan Miles)
Subject: Re: surrey top
From: HalMorton@webtv.net (Harold M. Morton)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:01:28 -0500 (CDT)
Ryan,                                                          Here`s
what I know (or have read, or been told) about "Surrey tops". The
originals, first offered in 1962 on the TR4, were all aluminun. The
window frame (backlight) was cast aluminum, the top piece was made from
sheet. Early in production, the top piece was switched to sheet steel. -
A bit of nomemclature here- according tothe Revington TR catalog, the
two "hard" components of the top are correctly referred to as that, the
hard top. The soft top canopy that goes with this arrangement is the
"Surrey".                         At least two, maybe more, repros have
been produced in fiberglass. An outfit called "Triumph Specialty" in San
Jose`, CA sold one in the early `80`s , and Revington sells their
version now. Revington`s catalog also lists aluminum hardtop center
sections that they produce. A one piece. and one that is split. so that
it can be carried inside the car. ( Be prepared to part with some cash,
according to their price list- the figures are in GBP.)
A fiberglass repro, with soft section, (no manufacturer identified) sold
recently on eBay for $1125. It was recent enough that you can still view
the item under "completed items".
The Bill Pigott book, "Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6" has some great color
photos of cars with the hardtops on and off.             This top will
fit TR6`s, by the way. Opinions vary on how they look on 6`s.
There are many entries on "Surreys" in the archives of the "big" Triumph
list, if you care to wade through those.                     Ryan, I
originally intended to send this reply over the list, but decided that
it was probably too long and esoteric. If you have any more questions,
I`ll be glad to tell you what I can.
Hal Morton                                               Pascagoula, MS
PS- I owned a `65 TR4A irs with a hardtop and Surrey from `80 to `83,
and have a great original to go on my TR250 project. I`d find it hard to