Re: Steering Rack Mounts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Mounts
From: David Friedlander <forzion@maine.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 20:37:30 -0400
John;

It seems, alas, these "solid" mounts are cast aluminum but are not as strong as
they appear. As Rob Pennington mentioned, his cracked at the bottom of the
U-channel in one of the mounts. So did mine and I needed to buy a second pair.
Why
someone doesn't simply machine them out of a block of 6061 aluminum billet, I
don't understand. They seem to charge enough for them to be made of billet! My
tip: make certain the rack is correctly positioned prior to tightening the
mounts, to avoid repeated episodes of tightening and loosening. This may weaken
the mounts.

Dave Friedlander
CF25194UO