Re: Master Cylinder woes

To: KincerC@abcbank.com
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder woes
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:53:54 -0400
Good timing Chris.  I have the same situation and started on it
yesterday.  First I opened all of the bleeders and chased the old fluid
with denatured alcohol.  This system gravity bleeds very well.  Closed
the bleeders and got a great pedal with the alcohol but could see it
weeping from the same point you described.  I let it sit for a while and
opened the bleeders to drain the alcohol, blew filtered air through the
system then closed the bleeders and plugged the M/C ends.  I could hear
the pressure differential valve reversing direction as I switched the
compressed air from front to rear. I'll be giving the M/C a quick hone
and rebuild with a kit from TRF then reinstall using silicone fluid.  I
have heard pro and con about the silicone but I think it is one of those
things that you need to be patient with.  Don't rush and cause more
bubbles than necessary.  I have a recently new clutch slave system and
will be doing that the same way. I'll report how well it works when
completed.

Jay Welch
Abington, MA
1971 TR6 project