Re: TR6 engine question

To: "Jim Davis" <jh_davis@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: TR6 engine question
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:56:47 -0400
| I did something stupid today and I'd like the lists opinion on how
| serious my error was:
| I put a new a/c compressor & bracket on CF38690 so I had to remove two
| head bolt nuts and I thought I'd re-torque the head while I was there.
| Without thinking much, I loosened all the head bolt nuts, installed the
| a/c bracket and re-torqued the head. I then decided to change the oil
| and I noticed some thin fluid coming out of the oil pan after awhile. It
| didn't occur to me to drain the coolant, so some must have moved into
| the cylinders and/or oil galleries while the head was un-torqued.
| Should I just re-fill the crankcase and check for additional coolant in
| oil, vice versa, or do I need to replace the head gasket? Something
| else? How much trouble am I in?
| Jim Davis
| Fortson, GA
| CF38690UO
| CF37325U

Jim,

If it was mine I'd do exactly as you suggested ---- refill with oil, top off
the coolant and keep an eye on the coolant level to make sure that the leak
has stopped.  Any coolant in the top will exit through the exhaust.  You
drained the bottom so I'd think you got most of it out.  If there are signs
that the head gasket is leaking, I change the head gasket then.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (home from  paint shop)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)