Re: TR6 engine question

To: "Jim Davis" <jh_davis@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: TR6 engine question
From: "Robert L. Gannon" <trsix74@home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:42:03 -0400
I have noticed that your not getting much feedback on this one. In my humble
opinion, It would be in your best interest to totally clean out the engine
here. Depending if you ran the engine or not how extensive a cleaning job it
would be. Assuming you did only what you wrote and the engine has not been
run after this misfortune then I would drain the remaining coolant from the
block and head. Follow it through with some compressed air. Make sure you
cover the drain plug with some rags when doing this to ensure that you don't
end up having to clean the engine bay. Then remove the head, wipe out the
cylinders and any other surfaces that you can see. Drain the oil and remove
the pan. Wipe out your pan, replace with new gasket.After replacing the Head
Gasket, retorqueing the head and all is reassembled fill with fresh oil and
filter.Don't forget to put in fresh coolant. Great time to do a flush job on
the radiator. When all is in place and ready, run engine. Then when oil is
hot change oil again and fresh filter. I would say that the old oil would
have protected your metal parts from possible damage. Should you  think that
this is not enough, I would pull the engine apart and do a thorough rebuild.
Robert L. Gannon
E- Mail Reply Options:     trsix74@Home.com
                                      trsix74@Yahoo.com
                                      trsix74@NetZero.net