CERAMIC

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: CERAMIC
From: "Don" <cdon2013@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:05:29 -0500
Shane and others with coatings on headers .........

This spring I elected to send mine out for what the people in the business
call, a true ceramic coating.
Being just a little on the analytic side, I finally made the choice to go
with the same company that produced the heat reflective material for the
space shuttle.

In the rush to get them off and coated, I had missed a weld on the inside of
one of the tail flanges on the collector.

In my attempts to clean the flat part of  the surface for welding, I noticed
the 60 grit belt sander would only smooth out the surface, and was having a
very difficult time cutting or taking off the ceramic.
It also seemed that the ceramic material had indeed bonded into the metal,
and it was only the carbide bits & die girder that was able to complete the
task.

One more discovery......... after intentionally burning in a good bonding
bead of weld, I noticed .... NO COLOR  CHANGE ..... of the ceramic material,
I expected at least some yellowing of this light gray material.    There was
no change !!!

Now knowing how tough this material is, and with its outstanding resilance
to heat ,makes me wonder if this material could be wrapped, and withstand
the  heat crystallizing affect you speak of.

DON