Re: slight bog and run on....Part 2

To: pzs83j@ndc.gmeds.com (Chris Young)
Subject: Re: slight bog and run on....Part 2
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:56:13 -0700 (PDT)
Chris---A couple of thoughts on an earlier message you sent out about a
"dark #3 spark plug" and "black spots on the rear valance," on your
triple carbs.     There's very little that can be done about #3, IF it's
fuel coloring or fluff that you see, unless you're willing to lean out
#4.   As you stated, this carb also delivers to #4 and this plug looks
like the rest of them. The cause must be that this cyl., or intake port
is drawing more fuel, and would take specialized equipment to equalize
them all. This is very typical of carburetor-fed intake manifolds, and
why port fuel injection helps to make modern cars run so well.  You ask
if there are "similar conditions out there." I have one intake valve and
spark plug that is always cleaner than the other five. It happens to be
#4. The compression on this cylinder has always been the lowest, also,
tho only a few pounds. It's been this way since day one, and thru a
couple of major rebuilds. I must assume that the reason is it's in an
area usually overlooked, such as the way that this cylinder gets its air
and fuel. A little polishing of this particular port and runner has made
no difference. Other TR's that I've looked at do not exhibit this.

 The "black spots" on the rear valance may not be the result of a rich
mixture. The Kamm-back design on the TR creates a vacuum, and attracts
the airflow under the car, along with all the oil that's in suspension
there.  Fuel carbon will usually wash off with soapy water, while oil
can be more stubborn.

Another reason to have the black paint, Mein Kaptain?

Dick T.