Header wrap [was slight bog and run on....]

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Header wrap [was slight bog and run on....]
From: ingate@horizon.com
Date: 22 Aug 2000 15:57:30 -0000
Chris Young wrote:
        > By the way that header puts out a lot of
        > heat..  I wrapped my starter until I can
        > have the header ceramic coated!

It is indeed a wise move to have the headers ceramic coated,
inside and out.  Some folk may decide to take a cheaper
route and wrap the headers.  I caution against this
practice.  What is fine for the racers is not necessarily
good for us with limited funds.  The problem with header
wrap on the manifold is that the wrap will retain a
huge amount of heat, which in time, re-crystallizes the
metal in the header.  Run your car (hard) like this for
a while and you will find that the headers will simply
crumble.  I had a friend who used to run his car hard, and
had the mild-steel headers crumble to dust in 2 years.
I don't know if s/s is affected as much as this.  I doubt
if the boat-anchor stock manifolds will rot as quickly if
wrapped.

Shane Ingate
Melbourne, FL