Locking Brake

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Locking Brake
From: JAKt6@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:40:55 EDT
Hello Listers,

I had and experience today with a locking right front brake. While driving at
about 50mph, I noticed a burning smell. I was following an XKE and I thought
it was coming from his car (poor guy I thought, he's not going to make it
home tonight) so I continued on trying to signal him but when I took my foot
off the gas, the car quickly slowed as if I had applied the brake. I pulled
to the side of the road and the right front brake was smoking heavily and at
this time was fully locked, as I couldn't move the car under power. I opened
the caliper bleed valve and that released the pressure and I was able to make
it home.  I've been using silicone fluid for about three years with no
problems. I've read in previous posts about bad master cylinder tipper
valves, but would a bad MC cause only one brake to lock up? I'm guessing that
I've got a a bad caliper. I changed both front brake hoses  and flushed the
system about a year ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joel Kahn
'72 TR6