Removing Stromberg carb. needles

To: "6packlist" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removing Stromberg carb. needles
From: "John Truttman" <jtruttman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:59:40 -0700
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:26:55 EDT
From: DeLoera56@aol.com
Subject: Carburetor Needles

    Since purchasing my '71 TR 6, I decided to rebuild the carburetors as
the
engine was burning rich and running ruff, even after tuning up the engine. I
have rebuilt carburetors before, so there is some degree of experience in
the
area, although not with Stromberg Zenith or SU's. The carburetors have been
disassembled and soaked in cleaner. All except the air valves, which has me
stumped.

    According to the Bentley book the grub screw should be loosened to allow
the removal of the needles from the air valve.  After the screws are removed
the needle adjustments wrench is inserted into the top of the air valve and
the adjustment screw is backed of counter clockwise two complete turns.
Once
this procedure is complete the needles can be removed from the bottom of the
air valve.

    The problem is, I have followed all of the above procedures, yet the
needles will not come out.  I know better than to force them so I decided to
ask the collective Six-Pack brain trust for advice. Any suggestions?

Steve Moore
CC61138

Hi Steve,

I just went through this recently. After backing off the grub screw, you
continue to turn the allen wrench until the needle drops free. You could
turn this allen screw for another 20 years, and it would just sit there and
turn in its own little world. The needle, on the other hand, screws up to
meet it. Once it's screwed up into place, the grub screw keeps it there.
Likewise, after loosening the grub screw, and turning the allen in the
opposite direction, the needle screws out and falls free.

Regards/John Truttman/TR6/Santa Cruz (soon to be Scottsdale, AZ)