Tachometer problems

To: "6 pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tachometer problems
From: "Rex R. Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:45:03 -0700
Hi everyone, Just checking my e-mails after a couple of weeks off which
included a trip to the VTR convention in Portland, OR.  Good people, great
cars, new ideas, okay venue.  Anyway, when reading all the List digests, I
saw some comments about tach problems and thought that I'd pass along a
problem that I had with my car a while back.  When I bought my car, the
distributor was set such that the tach drive came out of the distributor
almost perpendicular to the engine center line.  This made the tach cable
make a really sharp bend as it entered the distributor.  Not only did the
tach needle jump around, but I broke a couple of cables before I figured out
that the distributor should be aligned so that the cable only had to make a
gentle bend when entering the distributor.  The solution was to remove the
distributor and use a magnet to pull up the distributor drive gear and
replace it turning it a tooth or two at a time until the distributor was
correctly aligned with the static timing still correctly set.  When doing
this I had to also turn the oil pump drive so that the distributor drive
gear would properly slide into the oil pump shaft slot when reinstalling it.
Ever since turning the distributor gear, the tach needle has been very
stable and I haven't had any cable problems in years.

Regards,

Rex Townsend
Bainbridge Island, WA
69 TR6 CC26713L