Carburetor Needles

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Carburetor Needles
From: DeLoera56@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:26:55 EDT
    Since purchasing my '71 TR 6, I decided to rebuild the carburetors as the
engine was burning rich and running ruff, even after tuning up the engine. I
have rebuilt carburetors before, so there is some degree of experience in the
area, although not with Stromberg Zenith or SU's. The carburetors have been
disassembled and soaked in cleaner. All except the air valves, which has me
stumped.

    According to the Bentley book the grub screw should be loosened to allow
the removal of the needles from the air valve.  After the screws are removed
the needle adjustments wrench is inserted into the top of the air valve and
the adjustment screw is backed of counter clockwise two complete turns.  Once
this procedure is complete the needles can be removed from the bottom of the
air valve.

    The problem is, I have followed all of the above procedures, yet the
needles will not come out.  I know better than to force them so I decided to
ask the collective Six-Pack brain trust for advice. Any suggestions?

Steve Moore
CC61138