Re: '73 - '74 dash sold, also woodcraft question

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '73 - '74 dash sold, also woodcraft question
From: Peter Macholdt <pmachold@pluto.njcc.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:07:13 -0400
Rick,

My second hobby, next to the TR, is woodworking.  I my opinion, the best
way to remove the old finish from your dash is with a product containing
methylene chloride.  It is usually available as a liquid or, more
commonly, a paste (Zip Strip is what I use).  Follow the directions on
the can.

After you get the majority of the old glop off, follow-up with fine steel
wool saturated in a 50/50 solution of denatured alcohol and lacquer
thinner.  Then with a piece of dry fine steel wool and let the whole
thing dry for a day.  This will leave a surface ready to refinish.

The best finish for a backyard mechanic doing this job is a semi-gloss
(or satin) polyurethane.  Over time it will yellow a little but it will
provide the most durable surface.

Now, a word of caution; the methylene chloride is BAD stuff.  Keep it off
your skin, out of your eyes and use outside.  Also, the 50/50 mix is a
great cleaner but it also burns like rocket fuel.  Keep away from sources
of ignition and dispose of rags/ steel wool in a sealed can outside.

Good luck.

Peter
TR250

>     Listers,
>
>     First, the dash was sold within 2 hours of posting to the list(s).
>     Isn't the 'net wonderful!
>
>     Second, I like to thank scott s. and john t. among others, who
>     noticed that I totally screwed up describing the wiper switch
>     holes.  Yes, the '73 - '74 has a ROUND wiper hole, while my '72 has
>     a rectangular hole (damn'd single speed wipers!).
>
>     Woodcraft 101 question:
>     Now, can somebody recommend a way to remove the yellowed, peeling
>     shellac?/varnish on my '72 dash so I can refinish it.  There's no
>     damage to the underlying wood veneer and I don't want to have to
>     scrape it.  Also accepting suggestions on what is good to finish it
>     with.... re-shellac, poly ?
>
>     thanks,
>     Rick Olson

Peter Macholdt