Speedometer/Voltage Stabilizer problems

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedometer/Voltage Stabilizer problems
From: Ken Sharpe <kesharpe@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:33:40 -0400
Hello,

I've got a couple of problems that I'm hoping to get some advice on.

My speedo seems to be reading very high. I have a '74 w/J-type overdrive and at
50mph (measured by an accurate car) the speedo shows 65-67 mph. Are the
differences between the two speedometer drive gears enough to cause this much
of a discrepancy (There are two listed in Moss, 848-040 & 848-045; also two in
Victoria British, 2-7005 & 2-8645)? Or are there other gears that may not be
correct? I am using 185/15 tires, so I don't think that tire size is
contributing.

My second problem is that my temperature and fuel gauge aren't working ...
usually. They did work once for about 10 minutes during the past two weeks,
however. I know that the voltage stabilizer is used for both of these, but is
this a "typical" type of failure for a voltage stabilizer? The wiring and
connectors seem good based on a couple of tests, so I'm leaning towards
replacing the voltage stabilizer. Anything else that I should be considering?

Thanks,
Ken Sharpe