TR6 - Wire Wheel Conversion?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - Wire Wheel Conversion?
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:43:35 -0400
     Hello,

     I have 2 TR6s, a 1973 (150K+, basket case/parts car due to severe
     rust on frame and everywhere else) and a 1972 (VG condition, 35K
     miles, daily driver).  The '73 came with WWs (unknown manuf.), the
     '72 has stock wheels and 15 y.o. dry rotted Red Lines.  I'd like to
     convert/swap the stock wheels for the WWs, and, of course, new
     tires.

     I just read Art Kelly's Wire Wheel articles on the VTR site.  Looks
     like I may be buying NEW wheels, since a. I had over 100K miles on
     the old wheels, but no clicking noises, b. I had an instance of
     wheel spin (on a front wheel, no less!) which I foolishly? fixed by
     replacing the hub only, and c. I ALWAYS cranked down on the locking
     adapter (octagon style) with a spanner attached to a 3' pipe.

     Questions:

     1. I bought the shorter wheel studs and nuts [TRF] for the WWs, is
     there any trick to replacement?  Any suggestions for removing the
     old ones?

     2. A while back I saw a recommendation for alternate tires for the
     TR6.  Searching a few web sites, I came across a few dated entries,
     but nothing current.  Is there any recommendation for new tires (to
     use with standard (5.5"?)) WWs?  I would like to avoid clearance
     problems.

     Thanks,
     Rick Olson