RE: dealers?

To: "Creamer, Mark" <CreamerM@cintasmail.com>
Subject: RE: dealers?
From: "Don Clark" <d@donclark.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:48:05 -0700
I would steer clear of the dealers, having been burned in the not so distant
past by one in Northern California. You can often wind up paying a premium
price for a not so premium car. I would say that the premium that I paid to
buy the car from a Triumph 'expert' was in excess of $3,000. Face it, if you
don't know exactly what you're doing (like me) they are the ones that can
most easily screw you over.

Examples of statements made by the dealer and what I found:

Rust Free: Found rust holes under the battery box that he installed and some
rust on the rear fenders.
60K miles: Who knows, I took a look at some with over 70,000 miles that had
pedals that were less worn than mine.
Paint just needs a buffing: Required a repaint to get it right.
Never Wrecked: Found a lot of bondo on the passenger wing.

In any case I should have checked the car out better and walked. I didn't
because I was a little anxious to get the car. I'm into it another $1,500 or
so to fix the little problems and will wind up spending a lot more to have
it painted correctly and the rust holes fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car now. But it took six months of nights and
weekends to get it into the shape that it is now, and I still have a long
way to go.

Good Luck,
Don Clark
Seattle, WA

72 Pimento
Still looking for a painter with an opening this year.....