Battery drained after a drive

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Battery drained after a drive
From: Bert Van der Stee <bvdstee1@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:17:02 +0200
Hello Six-packers,

I am looking for some advice on the following :

The problem :
After I drive the 6 for about 20 miles and stop it, I cannot get it fired
up any more afterwards because of a dead battery...

What I already tried :
* First things first - check the battery : it still gives correct voltage,
a battery tester showed an "OK" on all of the cells as well.

* Afterwards, I turned all appliances "off", disconnected the negative side
from the battery and put the voltmeter between the minus side of the
battery and the battery cable.  There was current flowing ! Disconnected
one by one all the fuses, but even with all 3 disconnected the current flow
remains. ==> something must happen between the battery and the fuses
already.  A bad ground ?!

* A visual check on different cables did not show any bad wires or
anything.

* In the wiring diagram, the first appliance connected to the battery "+"
side is the starter.  Therefore, I tried by removing the cable to the
starter and replacing this, but no change...

So - can anyone help me with an easy solution to find the bad ground, or
should I try to replace one by one all the wires until solved ? Could the
cause also be in one of the parts themselves intead of the cables ?

Also, in the wiring diagram in my workshop manual, I find at two places the
symbol of an arrow (in bold) pointing downwards.  What does this mean, pls
? It is definitely another symbol than the "ground" symbol used in there.

Thanks to all for your help - great help this discussion group by the way !

Bert
72 TR6