Update on the blown Tranny

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update on the blown Tranny
From: "Ken Davis" <kenjdavis@home.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 10:39:22 -0700
Well, I'm poorer today than I was on Friday morning, but I've got
my rebuilt tranny in and undergoing 1st drive testing.  Plan on
changing the oil about 120 Mlles or so - next weekend, to help as
a final flush of internal stuff.  The problem was one needle
roller in the idler shaft, it went, took the others, ground them
to small shrapnel, destroyed the shaft, also the bearing housing,
but, it's all rebuilt, and looking good.  The flush is going to
remove the remnants, I hope.  it looks like gold dust, just small
shiny flakes.  Both tranny and OD work better than before, but
reverse now has quite a whine, but hey, it works.

Putting it in was easier than I thought it'd be.  not real easy,
but no major problem.  Lifted tranny into car and basically
positioned it.  Jacked up the sump until the bolt holes were
about 1/2 inch below the firewall.  Grunted and groaned and moved
tranny to where it was basically in line.  Put a hydraulic jack
under it and raised, twisted, lowered etc and aligned it with the
shaft hole. Using a wrecking bar I jimmied it forward, stopping
and checking all the time, adjusting heights of either sump /
tranny as needed.  Finally got it close enough to put 2 long non
tranny bolts in and cinched them, moving the tranny into a tight
mating position. Then it was just a matter of bolting and
tightening. Hooked up electricals for OD, hooked up clutch and
said a prayer.. It cranked a bit, burst into life, and gingerly
went into rverse and it moved!!!

So, quite please all in all.  Decided after the test drives that
not only do I need to redo the trailing arm bushings - rear, but
it needs the front shocks and maybe other stuff looked at.  Think
a wheel balance is in the order of the day also...

Many thanks to the list for their archives, maintenance
procedures, and also the discussions on switching it with a Supra
5 speed.   Appreciate the knowledge, support and help.  Maybe one
day I'll be able to give back...

Ken
South San Francisco
73 TR6  (CF7000U0 (?) (money pit, but pace)
87 Jaguar XJ6 SIII  (money pit also, but grace)