Tech tip

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Tech tip
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 12:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
This will hopefuly be a handy hint for installing a transmission in a TR
for the first time... Or for anyone who struggles with alignment while
trying to get the bell housing "home."  Slip two Philips screwdrivers,
(5/16" X 6" shaft diam.  work well,) thru two of the bolt holes on
opposite sides of the bell housing, say at the 10 and two o'clock
positions.  These two tools can be used to guide the unit forward by
placing their tips into the respective bolt holes in the engine back
plate.

Of course the engine and tranny have to be on the same plane, or within
reason. This will be obvious when the two units are within a half inch
of bolting up. If the gap at the bottom is much larger than at the top,
the engine must be jacked up a little.

I prefer putting the tranny back in from the top, by going thru the
passenger side door opening, sliding it over on a small sheet of 1/4"
plywood. (Tie off the cross shaft arm beforehand, and the throwout
bearing will stay in place.)    No removal of exhaust pipes or
transmission mount brackets are necessary with this method.

I mention the above only because I have found that it takes out a lot of
the chore from doing this repair, and it's not generally included in any
manual.

Dick Taylor
'73 Non-OD