Re: knock, knock,... boundary="------------C25ACA417C6D54229CBF0600"

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: knock, knock,... boundary="------------C25ACA417C6D54229CBF0600"
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 05:13:27 -0700 (PDT)
Grego,

I have bought several components from Goodparts, and can say that these
are top quality pieces that work great.  Richard Good is the owner, and
I believe he runs this business on the side.  His stage 3 engine is
fantastic, but a bit pricey as you mentioned.  If you can do engine
assembly on your own, you could save a few bucks by buying the parts
from Goodparts and building the engine yourself.

I did the engine in two stages so I wouldn't drain the bank account too
quickly.  In stage 1, I pulled the engine and sent it to a machine
shop.  They bored it out 20 over (no appreciable power gains going to
40 over), machined the crank, line bored the cam journals and press-fit
in some cam bearings (necessary when running a performance cam in the
TR6 block), and machined the flywheel.  They also balanced everything.
Then I sent the cylinder head off to Goodparts.  He built the head to
the same specs as the stage 3 engine cylinder head, except I had the
compression set at 9.5:1 rather than 9.7.  I also ordered his 1.65:1
roller rockers, and his GP3 camshaft.  I put the whole thing back
together with all the usual new parts (gaskets, bearings, oil pump,
pistons, rings, etc).  I used the stock two carb setup and my old Monza
quick-trip header.   It ran great and probably put out about 150 or so
horsepower.  Enough for a 16.2 quarter mile at last year's TRF summer
party.

Then at the end of last year the rear carb went nuts and dumped a
really rich mixture into the back 3 cylinders.  This gummed up my
beautifully ported and polished runners, so I had to pull the head to
clean it up.  I also took this opportunity to fit a much nicer header
and exhaust system from Rimmer Brothers in England.  And I figured it
was time to bolt on the triple stromberg setup.  I did all this in May
of this year, and it's been my daily driver ever since.  I've done
about 5000 miles on it so far, and it's been trouble-free except for
some initial problems with getting the throttle linkage working right
(my fault, not Goodparts).  The car is very quick.  I will be running
it down the 1/4 mile at TRF's summer party in 3 weeks, should easily
run under 16 seconds.

I am also using some of Goodpart's suspension components.  So far I
just have the nylatron front suspension bushing kit and the solid
aluminum steering rack mounts (a work of art made of machined billet
aluminum).  These parts all fit perfectly and work great.  The bushings
are the best type to fit to a TR6 in terms of allowing almost no
suspension deflection, and ride quality is still very good.  I plan to
fit nylatron bushings to the rear trailing arms, as well as Goodparts
coil springs and front and rear anti roll bars.  Good has this system
on his car, and it's the fastest autocross TR6 I've ever seen.

If you are going to do the suspension, I would seriously consider
Goodparts components.  Also, you may want to do a tube shock conversion
in the rear and get uprated tubes in front (Spax or Koni).  See the 6
Pack archives on which conversion kits are best for our cars.  I have
Spax adjustable tubes at all four corners, and it's quite a difference
over stock!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://mail.yahoo.com/