Re: Stuck Head

To: klarsen@inreach.com (Kendall Larsen)
Subject: Re: Stuck Head
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:49:03 -0700 (PDT)
Kendall---You didn't say what prompted you to take the head back off
after only 6,000 miles, so I'll consider the reason irrelevant.   I'll
pass along ways I've used, in order of severity..
I'll assume that you also backed out all 12 or 14 studs. (I don't
recall.) This will make the head less difficult to move "sideways," as
persuaded by a big, lead hammer, or equivalent.

Crank the engine over a few times with the starter. Sometimes the
compression can be enough to dislodge one end or the other.

Try inserting a chisel, or sharp screwdriver into an area that won't
affect the sealing of a new head gasket (look at it's replacement) and
work this with a hammer. This can be done without harming parts, when
careful.

If all this fails, you can do this at some risk--Take out #1 and #6
spark plugs. Turn the engine over to where these two pistons are coming
up, as indicated by the timing cover pointer.  Jack up a rear wheel till
it clears the floor  by a couple of inches, and put the transmission in
first gear.  Feed some nylon-type rope thru each spark plug hole,
measuring a pre-cut length beforehand.  See where this is going?  Now
turn the rear wheel forward until you feel the resistance of the pistons
squeezing the rope against the bottom of the head. If you can't feel it,
you need to feed in more rope. Back the engine up to where you started.
(It's better to have some rope hanging out of each plug hole, to make
retrieving easy.) When resistance is felt, rock the wheel back and
forth, using as much force as you're comfortable with.  I've broken
loose a very stubborn (rusted) head this way.  No bent con-rods or
valves, but it could have!  This could be a last ditch effort, before
having to-

-Remove the rocker arm shaft. Put the end studs back in, and try lifting
the head off with an engine hoist. (It will no doubt ruin these studs,
but could be replaced.

-Of course you could pull the engine, strip off the crank and pull the
pistons out the bottom. Then knock the head loose with alternating blows
with a 2 X 2 and the big hammer, from the "bottom up."  It also takes
several days to do this.

Others may have a simpler, or better way to remove a stubborn head.
Gang??

Dick Taylor