Wiper Problems

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wiper Problems
From: "J. Garruba" <jgarruba@hotpop.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:46:27 -0400
Dear Listers,

    I recently experienced a failure of the driverside wiper.  With the
wipers on, the left wiper does not move, while the passenger wiper works
normally.  Based on this, my problem must be either the wiper cable, the
driverside wheel box, or both.  My questions are; Is it likely that the
cable only is damaged, and the wheel box gear is undamaged, or vice versa?
Also, is it possible to replace the cable without removing the wheelboxes?
    My theory is that it may be possible to remove both wipers from their
armatures, then remove the wiper motor and withdraw the cable.  A new cable
could be slid in and through both wheel boxes and then the wiper arms
reattached.  This would be a quick and easy procedure compared to removing
the wheel boxes.  What do you think, is it likely that the wheelbox survived
with minimal damage?  Can I use the shortcut I have described, or do I have
to do things the hard way.

Thanks for the help

Best Regards,
Joseph Garruba