Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds
From: Walt Boeninger <walt.boeninger@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:34:03 -0700
Most Cobra "kitcars" are not, in fact, most "replica" owners
take great exception to their car's being called "kits"....

Kirkham falls in that same category.  They are replicas.

SAAC national recognizes 2 types of Cobras these days:

1) Original, as in built in the 1961-1968 timeframe, by S-A.
2) Authentic, as in built by S-A.  The CSX 4000 and 7000 cars
    are real, authentic Shelby Cobras.

Everything else is a replica.  Here's an excerpt from SAAC's
webpage  (http://www.saac.com)

As far as CSX4000 and CSX7000 cars are concerned, SAAC accepts these cars
as genuine Shelby American Cobras (as opposed to "original" Shelby American
Cobras). The definition we use to identify an original Cobra is one which
was, 1) built between 1961 and 1968, 2) at the direction of and under
contract from Carroll Shelby/Shelby American Inc., and 3) sold by Shelby
American or one of its franchised dealers. The only difference between
original Cobras and CSX4000 and CSX7000 cars is the time frame in which
they were built (1). However, all three factors separate Shelbys current
cars from all the rest of the Cobra replicas, AC MK IVs, COB/COX continuation
cars, etc. So, to our way of thinking, the current crop of Cobras are genuine
but are not original.

  ------
Regards

Walt Boeninger - Nor Cal SAAC         67 GT500     | 67 Shelby T-A #31
http://www.norcal-saac.org            71 Boss 351  | 97 5.0 Explorer
mailto:walt.boeninger@hp.com          99 C5 Hdtp   | 02 Mustang GT

-