Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds

To: shiples@comcast.net, anngene@bellsouth.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds
From: Rmvr53@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:34:03 EDT
In a message dated 9/5/2003 10:16:30 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
shiples@comcast.net writes:

> You have to look at what he owns.  He wants the sanctioning organization to
>
> protect the value and exclusivity of his documented, AUTHENTIC Lotus
> Cortina with ID plate by excluding someone who has assembled a Cortina with
> an identical specification out of parts.  If a vintage racing organization
> allows the assembled car on the grid then exclusivity and value of the
> original is affected.

This is where I have to jump in with 2 cents worth...

The exclusivity and value are only effected when the "clone" is being passed
off as the original. If you have a one-off and someone builds a copy...you
still have the one-off. I would rather see Lynx-built D Types and Westfield
11's
on a grid than real D's and 11's in a muesum anyday. As long as the
owner/driver doens't try and pass it off as the original, it is and always will
be a
replica. A replica and a real car on the track together are 2 great historic
(looking) cars competing with one another...now if the clone beats the
original....that falls under the "respect for elders" rule...young kids should
always
lift at the finish line to let the older guy win....right?

Bill Fleming - RMVR