Alloy Sumps

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Alloy Sumps
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:24:14 EST
"Since the oil pan is used to dissipate heat, I don't believe this
would be a good idea.  Is there a finned aluminum oil pan available for
your car/engine?  This would improve the appearance and also provide
better control of oil temperature."

I disagree. On a race car, the oil cooling should be done by an oil cooler.
Using an alloy sump is heavier, and much more prone to accident in the
inevitable off-road excursions.

Which would YOU rather do - dent a steel pan, or crack an alloy one and lose
all the oil (well, you MIGHT notice before you trashed the bottom end).

Bill S.
MGA Twincam, with nice alloy finned sump hanging on a nail in the garage,
where it belongs