Re: Safety gear survey - Gloves

To: <darmstrong@ptbo.igs.net>, "Vintage List"
Subject: Re: Safety gear survey - Gloves
From: "John P" <jpetrush@sc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 23:04:18 -0400
 "Doug Armstrong" <darmstrong@ptbo.igs.net> scribed thusly:

> I don't want to flame anyone, but I have to disagree with the glove
> recommendation if it is what I understand.
>
> Leather palms - nomex backing?
>
> From 2nd hand experience...
<...snip...>
> After recovering from  the burns, he bought double layer gloves with
leather
> on the palms / leather strips on the fingers.  When I started racing, I
did
> the same.  They may not offer as much feel as leather palms, but are
> infinitely safer ...  a fair trade off.

No flame taken - Your experience, 2nd hand or otherwise, is well stated.
Better stated in fact than my original description.  I went back and checked
my glove vendor's description and they are in fact two layers.  It reads
"Premium quality Nomex. and premium leather are used along with a reinforced
leather palm, leather reinforced knuckle pad, and adjustable Velcro. wrist
closure. G5 gloves are lined with an exclusive flame retardant fabric that
wicks moisture away from your hands while maintaining that unique RaceGrip
feel."  The inner liner is certainly a second layer.  These gloves are SFI-5
rated.

John P