RE: Safety gear survey - Gloves

To: "John P" <jpetrush@sc.rr.com>, <Gonridn2@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Safety gear survey - Gloves
From: "Doug Armstrong" <darmstrong@ptbo.igs.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 22:49:38 -0400
> > Gloves - one layer or two?  precurved fingers or not?  red for
signaling?

> Soft leather gloves, single layer, nomex backing with curved  fingers.
Check
> the construction for where the seams are located.  Mine are red, but
that's
> just because that was the only color the supplier had in stock and I
didn't
> plan my time well enough.

I don't want to flame anyone, but I have to disagree with the glove
recommendation if it is what I understand.

Leather palms - nomex backing?

>From 2nd hand experience...

While in university I crewed for a Formula Ford driver for a couple of years
/ before I graduated & started to race Formula Ford.

During a race, the rubber fuel line from the mechanical fuel pump to the
carburetor ruptured (ONLY USE BRAIDED STEEL LINES & AN FITTINGS ON THE FUEL
SYSTEM), fell forward and pumped fuel throughout / directly to the front of
the cockpit.  Since he was at speed, he drove into the fuel, which quickly
ignited.  Since the engine was still rotating, the mechanical fuel pump kept
pumping!

At the time he was wearing leather palm gloves with Nomex backing.  The heat
of the fire was transmitted through the leather - through the sweat on his
palms - to the areas of his palms / fingers that was exposed to the heat.
The areas of his hands that were tightly gripping the wheel were not burnt.
The exposed areas suffered 2nd & 3rd degree burns.

After recovering from  the burns, he bought double layer gloves with leather
on the palms / leather strips on the fingers.  When I started racing, I did
the same.  They may not offer as much feel as leather palms, but are
infinitely safer ...  a fair trade off.

As for visibility in an open wheel car - red or orange - you may never need
it, but why tempt fate - pointing drivers by / emergency stop / going into
the pits, etc.

I think this also adds credibility to the wet driving suit discussion.  Keep
it dry!  Where would you prefer to put your hand - in 40 degree F. water or
40 degree F. air?

Doug Armstrong