Staying Cool ?

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Staying Cool ?
From: "Richard Hardison" <BlueShadow@starband.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 14:39:39 -0400
Felt compelled to add my bit to the subject of staying cool in a race car.
Several years ago I was preparing for the final race of an August weekend with
CVAR in College Station, TX.  As it turned out, the air temperature at 2:00pm
on the grid was 107!  My good friend and mechanic suggested several plastic
baggies of ice inside my three layer suit.  We also strapped dry ice in front
of the lower 1/3 of the radiator on my Titan FF.

Both ideas worked well.  I stayed much cooler, and the car finished the race.
We were one of the few to finish.  All of the ice in the baggies melted and
several pounds of dry ice was reduced to an ounce or two!

Richard