Re: 2001 SCCA laguna seca race photos

To: stan@tta.com, chkangmd@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: 2001 SCCA laguna seca race photos
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 13:04:00 +0000
> > This doesn't seem "kosher". Anyone else get the billing?
>
>It's not. And it's not uncommon. Plenty of guys out there take your
>photo unsolicited, print it up, send it to you and ask for money.
>I *hate* it when people do this...
>
>As I recall the law on this, if someone sends you something you
>didn't order, it's yours.
>
>Stan

   I commonly send unsolicited photos to the racers I shoot at various
   vintage events. I charge $5 for them. I don't "expect" to get
   compensated for these "sample" shots. If the person keeps the print
   without sending me the fiver... well I'm not out that much. It's no
   biggie to me. However I'll not send him "samples" in the future...
   regardless of how brilliant the next shot is. It's not worth it to
   me to dun someone over such a small deal.

   I do mention in my letter which I send with my reprint price list
   that my racing photography supports my habit of attending these
   races. I also mention he can keep the sample if he places an order
   for a reprint.

   Over 10 years  of this method of doing "business" I have only "lost"
   a couple of sample prints. I've had a number returned with a "thanks
   but no thanks" note. On the bright side I do get a number of sales.
   I don't make much doing this but I don't have to.

   Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)