Re: Safety musings.

To: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>, brian@wcom.ca, varac@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: Safety musings.
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:08:53 -0400
After seeing that seminar, it became very apparent that the crotch straps
are not there to keep the shoulder belts tight (which I had always thought
was a significant part of their purpose) but to keep the pelvis in place,
to restrain the tendency of the torso to "slump".  This does more to
improve the efficacy of the shoulder belts that keeping them ultra-tight
pre-crash using non-rearward facing crotch straps.  In fact, one of the SAE
articles noted that having the shoulder belts slightly loose did not impair
their efficiency to a marked degree, from a HANS point of view.  So this is
one of the big things that I took away from this - that some of my old,
pre-conceptions have been wrong all along.  In fact, the torso has so much
tendency to collapse that the tightest shoulder belts become so loose in
the crash that the body can move far enough forward to allow the head to
hit the steering wheel.  Most amazing when it's pointed out that this is
NOT the belts stretching but the body flexing that allows this.

Brian