Re: Safety musings.

To: brian@uunet.ca, varac@yahoogroups.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety musings.
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 20:56:36 -0000
Brain,

Interesting report.  One problem you may encounter with rear-anchored crotch
strap(s) is that they do not "pull downwards" on the shoulder belts.  I had
a rear-anchored single crotch strap and was never satisfied with the
tightness of my shoulder belts, no matter how tight the other belts were.
Yes, my lap belts are properly installed & positioned, but the shoulder
belts would still tend to pull the cam lock buckle out of position & higher
on my torso than I wanted. Shotening the crotch strap length only served to
elevate the voice pitch.

I moved the crotch strap mounting forward to a point in the floor just
slightly behind my crotch, the strap feeding through a hole in the seat
bottom cushion, so the vector is more aligned with the shoulder belt vector.
  Now I can get my shoulder belts really tight without sounding (or feeling)
like a castratus.

Just my 2 cents worth of experience -- thanks for posting your report, it
was one of the most useful & appropriate messages seen on this list.  I will
probably re-think a few things, which is a never-ending activity anyway.

Regards,
Mark Palmer, happily restored baritone