RE: MSD ?

To: <MHKitchen@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MSD ?
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 01:58:04 -0600
Hi Miles, great post.  Could you answer a couple of questions for me?

Any chance you could list (not endorse) some of the brands that make up
the capacitive discharge and Inductive storage ignitions?

You mention that at certain points a multiple spark discharge ignition
has no spark.  Doesn't it only take one of the multiple sparks to ignite
the fuel mixture?

Is there a relationship between the energy of the spark and the power
delivered by the combustion of the fuel mixture?  My instincts say yes,
but some how it seems there is only so much "power" in the mixture and
once it combusts you've got all the energy your are going to get.

Larry Hoy

>Jack and all:
>
>Here's my 2 cents.  I used to design OEM electronic ignitions for
>Ford/Motorola, and have tested numerous aftermarket units under
controlled
>conditions.  Before I comment on MSDs, here as some general comments.
>
>1.  There are two basic types of electronic ignitions, Capacitive
Discharge
>(CDI), and Inductive Storage.  Inductive is the most common and uses
the
>ignition coil for storing the energy to make the spark.  CDI uses a
capacitor
>fired through a coil to make a spark.  Inductive are generally capable
of
>delivering more total spark energy to the plug.  A CDI can fire at a
higher
>voltage than Inductive (which can burn through a fouled plug, for
example),
>but has a MUCH shorter spark time, resulting in overall lower spark
energy.
>Points and condensor are Inductive storage type.  Most electronic
ignitions
>are electronic variations of points & condensor that eliminate the
wear-out
>and failure mechanisms of points & condensor.
>
>2.  In today's  lean-burning, low emissions engines, keeping the spark
fully
>lit in a swirling chamber is the challenge.  This is also the same
challenge
>in high compression, high performance engines.  The preferred solution
is a
>high ENERGY igntion, as ALL OEM igntions are designed.  Inductive
storage is
>the choice for this as all OEM auto manufacturers employ.
>
>3.  Multiple spark igntions (like MSD and others) are a trade-off.
Instead
>of delivering one long, high energy spark, they deliver several to many
short
>sparks.  Thus, if the spark blows out, there's another spark to relight
the
>mixture, insuring complete combustion.  What this means, though, is
that in
>between sparks, there's NO spark, resulting in overall LOWER energy
than a
>continuous, high energy spark that would occur over the same period of
time.

>4.  The spark energy is the product of the spark voltage times the
spark
>current, times the time.  The voltage is essentially controllled by the
spark
>gap, and the current and time by the available energy source (the
inductance
>of the coil and turns ratio, and how fully charged it is).  The time is

>limited by the RPM between spark firings.  Thus, in a 4 cylinder engine
you
>have twice as much time to fire as in an 8 cylinder engine at the same
RPM.