Re: DBCOM transponders

To: Vaughn Rockney <vintagegarage@erols.com>
Subject: Re: DBCOM transponders
From: "Richard E. Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:56:35 -0800
I believe with the defection of HSR, that SOVREN is the only vintage racing
organization using dBcom.  Our experience with dBcom has been better than some
other organizations but it has not been perfect.  I expect that some day in the
future, SOVREN may make the switch to AMB.  However, it is not going to happen
for at least a year or two, if ever.  As more organizations start using AMB, we
will have more and more out-of-town racers who own AMB units coming to our
race(s) and more of our members buying AMB so that they can be timed when racing
elsewhere.  With more AMB units in the racing community, that might put pressure
on us to make the move.  Arguing against that is the fact that both SOVREN and
our members have a lot invested in dBcom equipment which while not working
perfectly, is getting the job done.  The biggest problem with making the switch
would be for our Pacific Northwest Historics where we get 100 or so out of the
area cars.  We have to have rental units for those people.  dBcom has been kind
enough to rent us units which we turn around and rent to the out-of-towners.  I
don't think AMB offers such a service, and SOVREN couldn't afford to purchase
100 AMB units to put into rental service.  Now if 2/3rds of the people coming to
our event already had AMB transponders, then that might make things doable.  I
don't think that is the case, nor will it be for some time, if ever.  Hope this
explanation helps.

Dick Buckingham, Jr.
Race Chairman - SOVREN