RE: Overseas shipping

To: <S800Racer@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Overseas shipping
From: "Kerry Seibert" <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:58:56 -0500
DOUG- In 1998 we shipped a NON-RUNNER of a '66 Mini Cooper (Gawd, I need
another project like I need another you-know-what) from the UK to Baltimore.
We used Kingstown Shipping Ltd.  I think they advertise in one of the
English car mags.  Phone is (from US) 011 44 1482 374116.  Speak to Alan
Shores.  This was RO/RO.  Price was 510 UK Pounds (then X +/- $1.60) and
included collection of the non-runner from London.  Marine insurance is
extra at, I believe 2% of what you value your vehicle at.
Customs/importation paperwork is relatively easy/straightforward and you can
handle it yourself, no need to "waste" money having an agent/broker do it
for you.  Take a sufficient amount of cash to the docks to pay for your duty
(2.5% I think) and any demarage (sp?) incurred if you don't get there
promptly to p/u your car.  Take your passport or driver's license. Take your
original bill of sale.  Our car suffered no damage and they even left the
tow rope attached so we could use it to winch it on the trailer.  A friend
of ours used the same shipper in 1999 to bring over a Morgan Three-Wheeler
and he had no problem with Kingstown.  This is no guarantee, just our two
experiences . . . . . .

One BIG caveat:  please limit your imports to pre-1968 .  US DoT/EPA rules,
regs, ad nausea will be a living nightmare/hell unless you are a "pro" at
this type of importation.

Cheers, Craig Seibert      1968 Morgan +8    car no.611    "Duff Morgan
Racing"