Re: Vintage grouping, etc.

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage grouping, etc.
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:37:02 GMT
Carl,

Good comment ... in my view (sorry!), mirrors are perhaps the MOST important
safety devices on the car.  Arguably MORE IMPORTANT than fuel cells, fire
bottles, etc.  The driver must use his mirrors many, many times per race
session ... but he rarely, if ever, makes use of his fire system or roll bar
(we hope).  Mirrors are a PREVENTIVE safety device, cells & fire bottles &
roll bars are not preventive.

Unfortunately it seems difficult to "legislate" mirror requirements. It's
like prunes: are two enough? is that one too big?  The only thing that
really matters is field of view, and that's a hard thing for a Tech
Inspector to evaluate at tech.  But I wish Tech would focus more attention
on mirrors -- I have seen some dreadful arrangements.  If there was time,
the driver should have to sit in the car at Tech, and read all the letters
on a big wide chart posted behind the car.  Oh well.

Side benefit (although unimportant in vintage) ... I have "beaten" close
rivals solely because of my superior mirrors.  Without moving my head, I
have complete coverage of a very wide field of vision with my mirrors.  I
can keep track of a competitor with little effort.  I can drive more
consistently, more safely, and yes, faster, because I am not distracted by
moving my head around trying to locate a following car.  I have "beaten"
others in "faster" cars, simply because they had to slow down to allow
themselves time to hunt for a car in their inadequate mirrors.  Yes it is a
bit scary!

Minor tip: discount stores have $10 mirrors that clip over the rear-view on
a street car.  If you safety-wire this onto your race car mirror, and can
adjust to the convexity, you'll get a very large field of view (COMBINED, of
course, with TWO side mirrors).  Obviously I'm talking about Production cars
or Sports Racers, not single seaters.

Regards,
Mark