Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?

To: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Subject: Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?
From: David Laver <David.Laver@msdw.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:56:36 +0000
Simon,

By 'early Alfa' I meant 50's early 60's which is just above entry level to buy
but
total cost pretty good value.  Prewar Alfa is something else....

An entry level pre-war might be an Austin 7 or Riley rather than a Buggatti.
We're
fortunate in the UK that there are enough events for pre-war cars to be a
'sensible' choice.  We're also fortunate that there are roads where such cars
are
'practical'.  My first competition car was an Austin 7 that cost next to nothing
except my time - 1500 gbp would do it today but it was a year doing a little bit
everyday and half the weekend.

I agree dual purpose cars will not 'do really well' but that's not my aim.  The
fight is to keep my aim such that the car doesn't become a hot rod or unusable
on
the road.  Its a question of taste and pocket vs ambition.  I have a fairly hot
Lancia Aurelia and a bog standard 1098 Midget - both of which are more than
exciting enough for me on any track and neither of which are anything like
competitive.  Then again I don't do championship events so I'm not really
competiting. The choice is more for the venue, the company, and convieniance to
ballance with family and work.  I like the buzz, I like the cars, winning is
secondary and that cuts the bill by ten fold.

Also think about the fact that there are many road cars modified way beyond
historic legal.  You can modify some.

I still think my best advice is 'run what you brung' until the right car finds
you.  You'll know it when you see it.  Meanwhile track days and sprints in any
car
- maybe go to Hertz for a car each time.

David