Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?

To: David Laver <David.Laver@msdw.com>
Subject: Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:58:28 -0800
No, I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I've talked to a number of Alfa
drivers who agree. By the time you get a car sprung stiffly enough to do
really well on the track, it's a kidney puncher on the street. The best
gearing for the track is usually no fun on the street. Having a motor that
wants to live above 5000 RPM all the time is also a pain on the street.
I've seen the guys with the welded diffs trying to navigate around a gas
pump in the paddock. There's no way I'd try that in a crowded parking lot.
Driving a car with a full cage welded in on the street could attract the
wrong kind of attention. (Honest, officer. I wasn't racing!) Sure you can
bolt stuff in and out to go to the track. Just add that to the LONG list
of things to prepare for each event.

Pre-war cars are mostly the same on track or off, but would you really
run down to the corner store in one to get a 6-pack of Bud? ;=) I also
don't consider any pre-war car "entry level", which is what was asked for.
My first choice for a vintage racer would have been a pre-war Alfa, but
somehow Malcom Forbes left me out of his will...