Re: Racing with overdrives

To: RodsINTOMG@aol.com, Ccanepa50@aol.com
Subject: Re: Racing with overdrives
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:25:10 GMT
Chuck/Rod/Listers,

I don't have an overdrive in my MGA (it's not legal in A's anyway), but the
hot set-up for MGB's is close-ratio gearbox, OD, and a very short rear like
4.88.  Going from memory, the OD gives a 1:0.8 ratio, which makes a 4.88
rear equivalent to the standard MGB 3.9 rear in a non-OD car.

The OD gives essentially a 6-speed transmission, with very close ratios, and
overdrive 4th with the short rear gives appropriate gearing for typical
circuits.  Depending on the circuit, the B's w/OD will run a 4.55, 4.88, or
5.12.  The hot B's typically turn 7500 - 8000 RPM I believe (5-main, steel
crank & Carillos).

Regards,
Mark Palmer
envious in my MGA