Re: TR-2,3,4A - Double clutching, heel and toe shifting.

To: tmccis@revealed.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-2,3,4A - Double clutching, heel and toe shifting.
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 14:01:26 GMT
John/Tony,

Interesting perspective.  I race an MGA, pedals obviously different than TR.
  But I learned to double clutch/heel & toe on a Sprite, years ago.   I went
through a non-sports-car period of about 10 years (don't ask), but when I
bought my MGA the technique came back immediately.  It's like riding a bike

I race about 8 - 10 times/year, double clutch/heel & toe every downshift,
with occasional downshifts into 1st (unsynchronized in an MGA).  I never
practice on the street between races.  Even with a 4 - 5 month layoff in the
winter, it comes right back the first time in the spring.  Literally, I
never even think about it as I do it.

Once I tried to show a new driver how to do this, by sitting in the
non-running car in the paddock and letting him watch my feet ... and guess
what, I couldn't do it at all!  I mean, I just couldn't make my feet go
through the routine, I felt completely uncoordinated and foolish.  I tried
for 15 minutes and had to give up.

Have always felt that it's akin to making love ... you can read all you want
about the mechanics, but you never learn until you actually do it, after a
short while it becomes very natural and you never forget how.  But if you
THINK about it while you're doing it, you can't do it.

I won't extend the analogy to practicing between events ... or demonstrating
in front of an audience.

Regards,
Mark Palmer
MGA #185