Re: shop air

To: rodgers356@email.msn.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shop air
From: JonLowe@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 13:43:23 EST
In a message dated 12/28/99 11:21:06 AM Central Standard Time,
rodgers356@email.msn.com writes:

<< Finally got my large air compressor and would like to plumb my garage to
 bring air to several points instead of dragging the air hose around.  The
 conventional solution seems to be galvanized pipe or copper, but I've heard
 that some people have used plastic successfully, which might be easier to
 install.  I know they're not using Schedule 40 PVC or the like but is there
 another readily available material which might be preferable?

Call TiP (1-800-321-9260) and get their catalog.  They have a complete
description of how to properly run air lines.  Metal is better than plastic,
because the metal lines help condense the moisture out of the air.  Water is
death to paint and airtools.  Follow their instructions on how to do risers
and drops in the air lines to further reduce water content.

I used cast iron pipe.  If I had it to do again, I'd use copper.  It is a
bitch to get all of the threaded joints not to leak air, particularly if you
have a dual stage compressor at 175 psi.  Don't ask how many joints I had to
redo, and I used lots of Teflon tape.  Be sure to use copper pipe capable of
high pressure.  You can still use copper to cast iron adapters if you want
for the drops in your shop.  I also found cheap air shut off valves in teh
Harbor Freight catalog that work great.

Run the air lines near the ceiling, and put in more drops than you'll ever
think you'll need. You'll be glad you did.  You can never have enough
airdrops, sort of like electrical outlets!

Jon Lowe
PCA Tech Committee, 914