Re: shop air

To: <JonLowe@aol.com>, <rodgers356@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: shop air
From: "John Lehman" <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:25:16 -0500
As a manufacturer's rep for a company that manufactures cross-linked
polyethylene (PEX) tubing (and directly sponsors my vintage racing), and as
one who is building my own shop even now, I have to respond.  First and
foremost DO NOT use PVC pipe.  PVC is brittle and will be reduced to
shrapnel if it fails.  Metal pipe may cause some condensation of water in
the pipe as stated in the former response, although the pipe run through a
heated space won't get very cold, probably not cold enough to have much
effect on the amount of water in the air.  Most of the condensation will
take place in the compressor's tank, hence the blow-down drain on the bottom
of the tank.

I'm using PEX-A pipe (there are lesser grades of PEX but I recommend pex-a)
to run my air lines.  The pipe is ASTM-rated for a working pressure of 160
psi @ 70 degF, plenty adequate for most systems.  Incidentally, the
manufacturer must test to 1.5 times working pressure to obtain that rating.
Our tubing's actual burst pressure is in excess of 650 psi at 70 degrees.
The tubing comes in sizes from 1/4" to 3 1/2". 1/2 or 3/4 is probably what
you'll use.  I'm running all 1/2".  Pex tubing can be run as a homerun
system. That is, I'm running the tubing (in my case beneath the concrete
slab) from the compressor to each drop.  Since it comes in rolls up to 1,000
ft. long I only need to make a joint at each end, thus minimizing the
chances for leaks and speeding up greatly the installation process.

I'm using the same type of tubing to heat the concrete slab and consequently
the building, and to run my water lines.  There is no better way to heat a
shop than to heat the floor.  Low operating costs are a bonus.  Warm floors
are great when you're working under a car.  Your feet are always warm.  But
you didn't ask about heating, did you?

I doubt that the former respondent used cast iron pipe.  He probably used
wrought iron pipe.  Perhaps the fittings were cast iron, but the pipe was
not.  I agree that copper pipe would be easier to work with than
screw-threaded black iron.

John Lehman
'68 Triumph GT6
Ohio Regional Office
J.C. Mottinger Associates, Inc.
Manufacturers' Representatives
1008 Crook St.,  Grafton, OH  44044
Ph: (440) 926-2404   Fax (440 ) 926-1194
JELehman@ix.netcom.com   www.Wirsbo.com