Re: Synthetic Brake Fluid

To: Carl McLelland <carlmcle@saturnnet.com>
Subject: Re: Synthetic Brake Fluid
From: "Richard E. Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:15:40 -0800
I am unfamiliar with ATE Blue Racing brake fluid, but if it is Silicone, I
have some experience.  When Dow Corning released their silicone brake fluid, I
felt that I had died and gone to heaven.  All of the collector cars, i owned
at the time were converted following the instructions for flushing out old
fluid (obviously the best time to make the switch is at the time of a total
rebuild).  No rust, no water absorption, preserves the rubber, etc. etc.  The
only problem that I am aware of is that silicone can swell the rubber (I don't
know if this applies to all rubber be it natural and/or synthetic).  The only
problems I experienced was with one car whose master cyl. would hang up and
the pedal was slow to come back to the "off" position, however, I it didn't
hung up enough to keep the brakes activated.  Also, I tried it in a motorcycle
and the master cylinder which was probably all of 3/8 of an inch in diameter
did hang up BIG TIME.  Obviously the smaller the diameter of the cylinder
involved, the bigger difference a little swelling will make.  I used the
Silicone in my Lancia Aurelia B20S race car for 18 years and never had a
problem from it.  Lancia originally used natural rubber parts and specified
that you should only use vegetable based fluids as opposed to mineral based.
Later reproduction parts were made of synthetic rubber.  I believe that at
different times, I had some of each in my car and as I say, I never had a
brake problem with the silicone fluid, and the cylinders are like new!

However, in my other race cars which use Girling masters and have disc brakes
I have been afraid to test the water and have always used AP 550 in those
cars--Ginetta G4, Jolus Formula Jr., Titan MkIII Formula B.  I don't know that
silicone wouldn't work, I just haven't done it.

Hope this helps someone.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Dick Buckingham, Jr.