RE: Condensation

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Condensation
From: "Legerlotz, Alan" <alegerlotz@kronos.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:04:33 -0500
> The oil manufacturers (Valvoline tech rep.) say that sump temps in a
> street car should be 220.
>
> I don't even measure oil temp.  But I'd bet that excessive moisture in the
> engine is an indicator that temps are too low.  What say you all?

[Al Legerlotz]  I put a set of gauges in my street car (bmw 328is) and was
very surprised that the temps are usually quite low.  The sensor replaces
the drain plug.  On the race track (I do BMWCCA driving schools with the
car) I rarely get the temp above 220, and that's on a 90 degree day when I'm
driving as hard as I can.

Since its my first post, I should probably introduce myself quickly.  I
usually do track events with the BMW, but I also have an MG Midget and an
MGA 1500 that I'm restoring.  I have been getting more serious about the
track events I've been doing with the BMW, and I'm leaning more and more
towards a purposeful track only car.  Vintage racing appeals more to me than
straight SCCA type of events.  I hope to pickup some good information from
this list.

-Al