Condensation

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Condensation
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:12:28 -0500
Thanks to all who responded to my request for input regarding
condensation in the aluminum valve cover.

There were nine responses. Everybody who runs a Mini, Sprite, or
Spitfire said they have never had this problem. Ditto U.S. street cars.
However, three responses from guys with bigger engines - Volvos, TR's,
etc said they had seen this and were puzzled.

My conclusion at the minute is that it is due to the water component of
blowby condensing on the coolest spot in the engine, the valve cover.

Delete now unless you want to read more boring details.

I run a Triumph TR4 with a compression ratio of 12.5:1. Compression
readings are around 200 psi, leakdown is nil, engine runs great, no
evidence of head gasket leakage on gasket, block, or head, and no
evidence of water in the oil in the sump. BUT, lots of alarming milky
white goo in the valve cover. Despite the good instrumented readings,
the engine has more blowby than I would expect, so I'm theorizing that
the water in the blowby is condensing on the coolest surfaces -- and
when the engine is really hot, the valve cover is still cool. Don't know
what else to think until another idea or more data becomes know.

Thanks again for the input.
--
uncle jack
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer