Re: new Mag or SCAM?

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: new Mag or SCAM?
From: Clark Smith <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 22:57:16 -0800
Hi All,

I have a copy of Vintage Racecar, which I picked up in the Monterey
Historic Pits.  Its no scam.

This first issue is reminicent of other first issues in my collection.
Though there is some great content (like an article on the recently
deceased Fred Wacker and a profile on the Cheveron B19, 21, 23), it also is
clear the publisher is working to establish the magazine's purpose.  There
are plenty of personal ads with pictures, as promised.  An article on
racecar engineering, an estimate of under 2 liter sports racer values and a
report on Goodwood.  If they follow the path set by the first issue, in my
humble evaluation, it is going to find its niche in between Vintage
Motorsport and Victory Lane.  Less current news and more, serious technical
detail on shiny paper.

I have no affiliation with the magazine or its publisher, but I am
considering advertising in its next issue.  The first issue says that the
second will include a profile on the Elan 26R, a Formula Junior market
guide, and a report on Watkins Glen and Monterey (sure to revive the
Porsche-haters, I hope the editor includes a tractor picture).

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to launch a new magazine.  I
remember Dewey Dellinger calling me and asking me to write for his startup.
So I just had to write and say, "no scam".

Thanks,

Clark

>> ***Last Call for Free Classified Ads in Vintage Racecar***
>>> Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 9:02 PM
>>>  Hello again Casey
>>
>>A few weeks ago this fellow posted a message that he had a mew mag coming
>out.
>>It was supposed to be sent to those interested and handed out at Laguna for
>>introduction, Did anyone pick up one? I didn't get one and he didn't answer
>>his Email.
>>Another possability is SPORTS CAR MARKET MAG has anybody read it? It is
>>supposed to have been here for a while.
>>Thanks;
>>Michael*

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html