Re: vintage racing and aluminum interiors

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: vintage racing and aluminum interiors
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voyageronline.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 22:06:11 -0400
> With onboard fire systems, fuel cells and cutoff switches, is a period
> authentic interior really that much of a fire hazard and thus "dangerous?"

No, as long as you're conscious and can operate these features. I have
attended races in which corner workers were spaced far enough apart that
it'd take longer than the fire rating on my suit (which is a 3 layer) to
get to me, if I were on fire.

> How many fires have we had in vintage racing anyway?

Is it necessary for someone to lose their life in a fire in order for
the keepers of the "holy grail of vintage spirit" to realize that maybe
this quest for perfection isn't really that important. What is important
is having fun, recreating a piece of history, which in my opinion is
more a state of mind than the cars, and going home in one piece.

My point in this discussion is, Safety First, period. If the cars can be
made safer, it should be an allowable modification. If a group wants to
ensure that the mods are not performance enhancing, make rules. You
can't see the interior panels from trackside as the cars pass by at
racing speeds anyway.

Tom Shirley  Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga)
http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080