Re: vintage racing and aluminum interiors

To: schonny@idt.net, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: vintage racing and aluminum interiors
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@voyageronline.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:03:10 -0400
> not in the spirit of vintage car preparation.
>
> Frankly, its people coming to the sport with your way of thinking
> that cause cars like MGBs (and others) not to be eligible in some groups of
> vintage racing.

> If you're not going to show up with a faithfully restored car, prepared to
>the appropriate regs, then
> perhaps vintage isn't where you should be

These are the types of comments that I feel alienate some people. They
sound elitist and don't make people feel welcome.

> Before you spend a lot of time, effort and money doing this, you may want to
> confer with those in the groups you plan to run with

I do agree in part with this comment. If you can't afford to travel long
distances, be sure to comply with the rules of the group you will race
with near you. I'd get all that 60s technology (seat, panels, etc.) out
of the car though. The best that could be said about that stuff in an
accident involving a fire was, "well, it was an authentic fire, wasn't
it"!

BTW, HSR and some other groups don't nitpick details like door panels.
Find someone like them to race with.

Tom Shirley  Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga)
http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080

My Datsun 510 #18 (the race car)
http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080/510stuff.html

Spitfire FAQs and Tips